Spits Lose to Storm 6-3

Photo by: Gerry Marentette
Photo by: Gerry Marentette

The Spitfires travelled down the 401 for a matchup in Guelph to take on the Storm. This was the first of four meetings between the two teams. Windsor was coming off an overtime loss last night at home, and the Storm was coming off a 4-3 win over the Owen Sound Attack.

In the first period, the Storm struck early. Just 50 seconds into the period, Gogolev made it 1-0. Precisely nine minutes later, the Storm struck again, making it 2-0. After one period of play, the Storm led the shots 11-10.

In the second frame, the Spitfires struck back over eight minutes in on the powerplay. D’Amico tallied his 9th of the season, Henault had the lone assist. Under 2 minutes later, the Storm restored their two-goal lead, making it a 3-1 game. However, the Spitfires responded quickly; only one minute expired, and Afanasyev found the back of the net for his 11th on the campaign. Foudy and Henault drew assists on the goal. We stood at 3-2 headed into the third, shots were now in favour of the Spits 22-17.

In the third period, just under eight minutes in the Storm scored to make it 4-2. With just under five minutes remaining in the period, Guelph scored again to make it 5-2. A minute and a half later, the Spitfires responded, Angle, ripped a shot that found the back of the net, making it 5-3 with 2:58 left to play. The Spitfires had a couple of close chances but came up short. Guelph added an empty-net goal with seven seconds left. The final score Guelph 6 Windsor 3.

The Spitfires’ next game is Sunday, December 15th, as they take on the rival, London Knights. Remember to bring your teddy bears to the game!

More News
2017 Memorial Cup Memories with Michael DiPietro
8 hours ago
Eleven Windsor Spitfire Alumni Advance to Stanley Cup Playoffs
8 hours ago
Tim Horton’s Camp Day August 12th
2 days ago
OHL Announces Return to Play Plans
1 week ago
Spitfires Alumni Video Series - Todd Warriner
2 weeks ago
Game-worn Alternate W Jerseys ON SALE NOW!
2 weeks ago